Read how to convert m4a (AAC/ALAC) from/to WAV audio files on Windows, Mac OS X to playback at capable digital music players, car stereos and other music devices and software.
To convert m4a (contains AAC or ALAC) from/to WAV:
Download, install, launch AuI ConverteR 48x44 FREE
- Open *.m4a or .wav file (if you just performed the first conversion, skip steps 1, 2).
- At the main window, Output panel, Format list, select either "WAV" or "aac (m4a)" or "ALAC" format.
- At the main window, choose sample rate.
If target bit depth is 16 bit and source bit depth are above 16 bit, it's recommended to set dithering ON.
If both input and output bit depths above 16 bit, Dither button state will be ignored.
If both input bit depths is 16 bit, recommended to set dither OFF. But you can check sound with dither ON.
- Select target directory (see more in the video below).
- Push Start button and wait until the end of the conversion.
- Converted stuff is placed in the target directory.
m4a is a container file, that is comprised of compressed data. The data format is:
Also, the format can contain metadata: track and album names, performer, album cover artwork, etc..
When we convert m4a to wav, musical information loses nothing comparing the original m4a stuff. The original lossy stuff, like mp3, AAC, loses part of information when coded to another lossy format.
- Launch AuI ConverteR 48x44 (Modula-R or PROduce-RD)
[Optionally] You can convert operas, concerts, shows or same albums with resampling (change sample rate).
In the main window, Parameters tab, check "True gapless mode"*
[Optionally] You can convert lossless original stuff in bit-perfect mode.
In the Settings window, General tab, check Don't make DSP... switch.
Convert m4a to wav: Settings - bit-perfect for lossless
In the conversion software's main window, Output panel, Format list, select output WAV format.
Select output format
- Push Open files button.
- Select *.m4a file. Push Open button.
- After it, window of auto-downloading request for input decoder is appearing. To download and install the codec, push OK button.
Download codec request window example
AuI ConverteR has several price/functionality options that allow saving your budget for the required functionality. You can expand Modula-R abilities later by purchasing new modules. Unlimited-time license, major updates (... 10.x > 11.x > 12.x > ... versions) are paid.
WARNING: Modula-R modules (parts of AuI ConverteR’s functionality) are NOT compatible with Free version.
ADD-ON modules work with certain CORE modules only (see details).
The module is license key received in order email. To activate module functionality, enter its key in Modula-R executable.
All "Modula-R" modules together have "PROduce-RD"'s abilities.
Full-featured "PROduce-RD" version is like a discount on price of full module kit of "Modula-R" version.
To expand functionality, module(s) (compatible with purchased major version number) may be ordered separately.
Modula-R license cannot be replaced with PROduce-RD.
* All prices on this page are in U.S. dollars without V.A.T. and other applicable taxes and fees. The prices are recommended. Information on this page is not a public offer.
You can convert .m4a to .wav for free with free version of AuI ConverteR. Read guide...