Audio Basis - articles about audio
WAV (Waveform Audio File) is a lossless PCM audio file format. Read about a converter, player, editor software, wav vs mp3, and others.
and get Extra Warranty 1-year period for FREE.
THE PROMO LICENSE NUMBER IS LIMITED.
* - This promo is valid from 4 December 2023 00:00GMT to 6 December 2023 00:00GMT. This Extra Warranty 1-year period is applied to this purchased promo license only.
Optimize music files
to reach your device’s sound quality limit,
get compatible audio format or save disk space.
accurate audio file converter software for
music production and discerning music lovers
FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, SACD ISO, DSF, DFF, mp3, m4a, CD...
We think about quality. You just work with music.
If you buy "AuI ConverteR PROduce-RD" (2023/12.x version) from 24 August 2023 to 24 October 2023, you will get free update to version 2024 (13.x) after its release.
- WAV metadata
- WAV expansions
- WAV applications
- WAV vs mp3
- WAV vs FLAC
- WAV vs DSD
- Read more
WAV audio file format is intended for music production, audiophiles, scientific, and other applications.
WAV file consists of several information blocks. They are called chunks. Audio data have their own standard chunk.
WAV audio file format
Non-standard chunks are allowable. A chunk should be ignored if WAV software can't recognize it.
- Sample rate: up to 2^32-1 Hz;
- Bit depth: 8 ... 64-bit integer / 32-, 64-bit floating point;
- Number channels: mono/stereo/multichannel;
- For integer bit depths:
- Minimum signal value: -2^[bit depth - 1]/2
- Maximum signal value : 2^[bit depth - 1]/2-1
- For floating point bit depths:
- Minimum signal value: -1.0
- Maximum signal value: 1.0
- Maximum size: up to 4 GBytes (may be expanded)
- Standard metadata support: no (read details).
Metadata is an information about music piece: album, track name, performer, album artwork, others.
WAV format is flexible. It can contain audio data in different formats.
As rule, 2 types of metadata are used:
WAV files may contain 2 copies of metadata in LIST and ID3 chunks simultaneously.
ID3 metadata format is very flexible and popular and can contain one or several artworks.
RF64 is WAV file expansion, which allows expansion file size of WAV-file above 4 GBytes. As rule, high resolution music demands huge file size.
Read details about WAV RF64...
BWF is WAV file expansion to store recording studio information and unifying several WAV files to big single audio data block.
WAV64 is WAV format, where 32-bit chunk fields are replaced to 64-bit values. It allow to expand file size.
WAV format have higher size. If compress it to mp3, information losses are there.
There is no univocal answer "what is better: mp3 or WAV?" There is many cases, when no noticeable sound difference between these formats. Exact claim is almost impossible for home researches.
But professional researches show that difference may be there.
It is necessary to remember, that:
- playback equipment ans software cause distortions,
- bitrate of mp3 impact to losses of compressed stuff,
- human ears and brain is not perfect acoustic receiver.
Complex of these factors define audibility of sound difference between WAV and mp3 formats.
WAV and FLAC format have no sound difference.
Sometimes we can read, that difference is there. And there is the hypothesis, why it may be so.
But author never seen safe proofs of the hypothesis.
Here we can discuss DSD vs PCM rather. It's more correct technically.