How to convert DSF to/from DFF
To convert DSF to/from DFF (DSD) files on Mac [Intel, Apple Silicon M1/M2] and Windows [11, 10, 8, 7] in high quality:
- Start AuI ConverteR software
- Push Open files button and choose DSF or DFF file(s).
- In the Directory output files field, select the destination folder.
- In the Output panel, select target format DFF or DSF
- In the main window, select sample rate: DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, DSD512, DSD1024.
- Push Start button and wait for the end of the conversion.
When you select DFF output format the first time, AuI ConverteR can request for download and install external DFF codec.
WARNING: For .iso tracks, .dsf, .dff with lengths more than 3 minutes FREE version mute 2-second silence in the output middle.
Back to top
AuI ConverteR has several price/functionality options that allow saving your budget for the required functionality. You can expand Modula-R abilities later by purchasing new modules. Unlimited-time license, major updates (... 10.x > 11.x > 12.x > ... versions) are paid.
WARNING: Modula-R modules (parts of AuI ConverteR’s functionality) are NOT compatible with Free version.
ADD-ON modules work with certain CORE modules only (see details).
The module is license key received in order email. To activate module functionality, enter its key in Modula-R executable.
All "Modula-R" modules together have "PROduce-RD"'s abilities.
Full-featured "PROduce-RD" version is like a discount on price of full module kit of "Modula-R" version.
To expand functionality, module(s) (compatible with purchased major version number) may be ordered separately.
Modula-R license cannot be replaced with PROduce-RD.
* All prices on this page are in U.S. dollars without V.A.T. and other applicable taxes and fees. The prices are recommended. Information on this page is not a public offer.
Back to top
- Sample rates: D64, D128, D256, D512, D1024
- Output band (by user option):
· 20 kHz (optimized mode, recommended);
· up to 27 kHz (non-optimized mode).
· up to 100 kHz (wideband mode).
- High sound quality. Read more...
Audio quality issues
As default, AuI ConverteR provides the best sound quality by developer recommendations. It process DSD audio files.
If you want to convert DSF to DFF with absolutelly same sound quality (bit-perfect).
You have several options to optimize an audio file to your DAC.
About all this read the guide below.
If you want to resample DSD files, you can use AuI ConverteR. You have options, that allows adjust sound for your requirements.
In Settings > General, you can see 4 resampling filter modes that define the output band:
- Optimized mode (20 kHz output audio band; recommended);
- Non-optimized (up to 24 kHz, depending on input and output sample rates);
- Non-optimized Wideband (up to 100 kHz for DSD files, depending on input and output sample rates; a traditional band for PCM to PCM conversion).
- Optimized G5 mode (20 kHz output audio band; shorter ringing length; slower; recommended for professional use);.
If #2 and #3 modes cause audible noise at your hardware, then use #1 or #4 mode.
You can compare sound (see Settings > General > "Use minimum phase filter" switch). When the switch is checked in Optimized mode (#1) "quasi-analog filter" is applied. In modes #2, #3, #4 the switch is ignored.
Read more about the filter modes...
If you want to copy input DSF to output DFF without any processing (bit-perfect conversion):
- in Settings > General > check "Don't make DSP..." switch;
- in the main window > Output panel > Sampling rate list choose "as input" or sample rate value similar to the input file.
Read more about audio optimization for your DAC...Back to top
Frequently Asked Questions
You can convert DFF file to:
DFF audio file is a hi-res audio file in DSD format. It's applied in music production rather.
You can open DFF files to:
DSF audio file (DSF music format) is a high-resolution audio file in DSD format. It's intended for music production and music lovers.
DSF file contains music in DSD format.
DSF and DFF files are fully compatible by binary audio content.
But, they have some differences in file structure and abilities.
DSD isn't better isn't worse than FLAC. It's why permanent discussions about it continue.
You can use programs to open DFF files:
You can convert DSF file to:
Read how to convert audio to DSD files:
You can convert DSF to mp3 according to the guide...
Read how to convert DFF files to mp3...
Yes. Read the guide on how to convert DSF files to FLAC...
Yes. You can convert DSD files to FLAC...
DSF file may be opened to:
DSF file may be played back with DSD audio players...
To playback DFF files on PC, you can use the music playares...
Alternatively, you can convert DFF to FLAC...
As the author knows, VLC doesn't play DSF audio files. Try to follow the current state of the issue...
Back to top