DSD to PCM conversion (.dsf/.dff/SACD ISO to WAV, FLAC, mp3, m4a, other files) always alters audio information of the original file. In other words, the processing may be provided with different sound quality. Keep reading the music file conversion guide.
How to Convert DSD to/from PCM audio files
- Start DSD audio file converter software AuI ConverteR 48x44.
- Click Open files button and select one or multiple .dsf or .dff of .iso (SACD ISO) source file(s).
If you convert PCM to DSD files, select .wav, .flac, .mp3 or other PCM file(s) *
- At the right middle part of the main window, in the Format panel, select target PCM format (FLAC/WAV/AIFF/ALAC/mp3/m4a/etc.), sampling rate and bit depth.
If you convert PCM to DSD files, select DSF or DFF format.
- Assign the target directory for converted files at the left lower part of the main window, Directory output files field, via "..." button. Read about output directory and output file templates.
- Push Start button.
- Wait until conversion end. Converted files are placed into the assigned target directory.
* depending on license type
WARNING: For .iso tracks, .dsf, .dff with lengths more than 3 minutes FREE version mute 2-second silence in the output middle
Back to top
Noise and distortion levels are important things. They primarily determine audio quality.
AuI ConverteR 48x44 vs a converter software distortions:
spectrogram (x-time, y-frequency), DSD64 to PCM 44.1 kHz,
The input signal is a sweep sine. In the picture, we can see spectrums of output files for compared conversion software.
In the lower picture part ("a converter software"), we can observe the mirrored image of the input sweep tone. It's distortions or aliases. At the top part of the picture ("AuI ConverteR"), we can view only input sine without unwanted products.
DSD to PCM conversion is based on downsampling. Because, as rule, the input sampling rate is higher than the output one (in instance, 2.8 MHz and 96 kHz, respectively).
Downsampling requires low-frequency filtering. Otherwise, the high part of the input spectrum folds into the audible range of the output signal. Viewed aliases in the picture demonstrate it.
Higher accuracy of conversion requires more computing time.
In some cases, a playback-noise level can be achieved by reducing the output frequency band.
In AuI ConverteR Settings, General tab, see Filter mode list. Playback noise for high-resolution sound files may be solved via "Optimized" filter mode.
Since version 11.x, for professional use, "Optimized G5" filter is recommended to reduce filter ringing length. It is a slow conversion mode.
Read more about audio quality improvement...
Back to top
DSD and PCM. Tech information
In spectral domain, DSD audio signal is very similar to PCM. Both ones contain audible signal in the lowest part of the spectrum (0 ... 20 kHz). After 20 kHz PCM has equal level noise for all frequencies. Sigma-delta modulated signal has a noise "hump" in the ultrasound part of the spectrum (upper 20 kHz).
Conversion DSF audio to PCM files (WAV, FLAC, AIFF, mp3,...) is digital filtration of DSD signal. After filtration noise "hump" is eliminated. And remains only audible content. High DSD's sample rate adjusted to "low" PCM's sample rate.
Read about the comparison PCM and DSD formats of audio files here...
Back to top
AuI ConverteR has several price/functionality options that allow saving your budget for the required functionality. You can expand Modula-R abilities later by purchasing new modules. Unlimited-time license, major updates (... 10.x > 11.x > 12.x > ... versions) are paid.
WARNING: Modula-R modules (parts of AuI ConverteR’s functionality) are NOT compatible with Free version.
ADD-ON modules work with certain CORE modules only (see details).
The module is license key received in order email. To activate module functionality, enter its key in Modula-R executable.
All "Modula-R" modules together have "PROduce-RD"'s abilities.
Full-featured "PROduce-RD" version is like a discount on price of full module kit of "Modula-R" version.
To expand functionality, module(s) (compatible with purchased major version number) may be ordered separately.
Modula-R license cannot be replaced with PROduce-RD.
* All prices on this page are in U.S. dollars without V.A.T. and other applicable taxes and fees. The prices are recommended. Information on this page is not a public offer.
Frequently Asked Questions
DSD and some PCM formats are included in high-resolution audio.
DSD to PCM is a conversion 1-bit audio format to multi-bit one.
It's a complex matter. No univocal advantages of DSD audio files comparing PCM ones.
DSD audio format gives technical abilities that have advantages comparing PCM formats. However, it is not so simple.
DSD audio format has some technical advantages comparing FLAC. However, some nuances are there.
DSD128 gives better design abilities to improve sound quality. Primarily, it depends on implementation.
Yes. You can convert PCM to DSD files...
Read how you can convert DSF to FLAC...
Yes. It can. Read details...
DSD files may be played back via computer applications...
Yes. JRiver can play DSD files.
It depends on your equipment. Read more...
Read how to convert DSD files:
- DSD to FLAC / WAV / mp3 >
- FLAC / WAV / mp3 to DSD >
- SACD ISO to DSF / DFF >
- SACD ISO to FLAC / WAV / mp3 >
- SACD ISO conversion (definitive guide) >
Yes. Read how to convert PCM to DSD...
You can convert mp3 to DSD according to the manual...
Yes. Roon software can convert DSD to PCM*.
DSD may be streamed. Read more...
You can download DSD music files:
Conversion DSD to PCM may be required if:
- digital signal processing (DSD) is required;
- an output audio device doesn't support DSD.
Roon can play DSD [*].
DSD audio contains significant-level noise at high frequencies. It can cause audible noise on some equipment and other issues. To remove it before playback low-frequency filter is used.
Back to top
- DSF file format. DSF extension >
- How to playback DSF files in Foobar2000 [Step-by-Step] >
- DSD vs DSF vs DFF Files Audio >
- DSF File Converter >
- DSF oversampling. D64 vs. D128 >
- Audio Converter DSF to FLAC >
- How Impact to Audio Quality of PCM to DSF Conversion. 1-bit DSF vs. PCM >
Back to top